Tips for selling your home
Make your house welcoming
- Neutralise all odours including pet and cigarette smells
- Set out fresh flowers for those open day visitors
Make your house sparkle
- Vacuum your house
- Dust all cobwebs and dust from window sills, furniture and light fixings
- Polish all chrome faucets and mirrors
- Hang up fresh towels
- Wipe down all counter tops
- Most people have too much furniture and belongings lying around which create the illusion of less space. Pack and store most of your belongings leaving only the bare minimum for decoration
- Try to depersonalise your house from family pictures. You want the buyer to imagine their belongings in the house.
Use your garden
- Mow and weed your garden for a tidy and welcoming look
- Trim those bushes
- Check all outside lights are working for those house hunters driving by.
Make minor repairs
- Fill holes in walls
- Change stained carpets
- Repair leaky faucets
- Replace burnt out light bulbs
- Replace cracked tiles
- Fix jammed doors
Freshen up your house
- If you’ve always wanted to replace those worn bed sheets, now is the time
- Dark coloured walls can make a room look smaller. Painting your walls a neutral white or beige will brighten and open up any room.
Buyers love to snoop so stay organised
- Make sure those coffee jars are stacked neatly in alphabetical order
- Turn those mug handles all the same way
- Line up those shoes
- Neatly stack those dishes
Remember that first impressions count.
Check out the Consumer Affairs Victoria website for more information.