RENTING A HOME - A GUIDE FOR TENANTS
Learn about your rights and responsibilities as a renter with this free guide from Consumer Affairs. To get a copy, click here.
MAINTENANCE TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS
Below are some of the commonly encountered tenant problems. We have provided a list of tips and solutions for you to use before going to the trouble of calling a trades person:
PROBLEM | NO POWER
- Perhaps the safety switch has been activated, reset the safety switch in the fuse/meter box.
- Perhaps one of your appliances is faulty (for example, your fridge).
* Note if you call out an electrician and your appliance is at fault, you will be invoiced for the call-out
- Turn off the power points and unplug all the appliances in the house.
- Reset the safety switch in the fuse/meter box.
- Plug in the fridge (or other appliance) and turn on the power point.
- If the safety switch clicks off again, you know the problem is the appliance, which needs repair.
- If not, test another appliance in the same manner.
- If not see below
Perhaps your street is suffering a temporary interruption or fault:
- Contact your electricity company.
- If you live in a townhouse or apartment, there may be an interruption or fault that affects the complex.
Check with a neighbour to ascertain this. If the problem is complex-wide, contact the Body Corporate manager.
PROBLEM | LIGHTS AND POWERPOINT NOT WORKING
- Has the safety switch has been activated?
- Reset the safety switch in the fuse/meter box.
- You may have a blown light bulb.
- Replace the light bulb and try the light again.
- You may have a faulty appliance.
Try plugging the appliance into a different power socket. If it still does not work, the appliance may be broken.
PROBLEM | TAP WILL NOT TURN OFF
- If a tap won’t turn off and water is gushing go to the mains which is usually situated near the garden tap – turn off the mains tap here and call the office or the urgent maintenance phone if outside business hours.
PROBLEM | NO HOT WATER
- Did you remember to arrange your Gas/Electricity supply company when you moved?
- Perhaps the tap to fill the system has been turned off?
- Ensure that the tap is turned on fully.
- If you have an electric system:
- Ensure that the safety switch in the fuse/meter box is engaged.
- Does the hot water system need refilling or topping up?
* Avoid this by checking the overflow pipe approximately every 6 months. * Usually there is a copper valve on an electric hot water system and an overflow pipe. Pull up the lever until water begins to come out of the overflow pipe.
If you have a gas system:
- Check the pilot light. If it has gone out, follow the user instructions to relight it. (Some systems may require a tradesperson to do this but in most cases self lighting is easy if instructions are followed)
Ensure that the valve on the gas meter has been turned on.
PROBLEM | BLOCKED SINK AND SHOWER
Report a major blockage to your property manager. However, if your sink or shower takes a long time to drain:
- Try using Draino or similar product to free the blockage.
- Clear hairs and old soap from the waste pipe and U bend by putting a bucket under the pipe, unscrewing it and removing the debris. Re-attach the pipe and pour boiling water down the drain.
- Remove old food from the kitchen outlet and pour boiling water down the drain.
- Never put fat and oil into a drain as these clog up the pipes.
PROBLEM | STOVE ELEMENT NOT WORKING
- The connections may be loose or dirty.
- Pull out the elements, clean and replace them.
- The energy supply may not yet have been connected.
- Ensure electricity has been connected to the property.
- The gas igniter may be obstructed.
- Ensure the element is correctly positioned on the stove top.
- Ensure gas has been connected to the property.
PROBLEM | WASHING MACHINE NOT WORKING
- The machine may not be correctly connected to water and electricity.
- Ensure that the taps are turned on at the wall, that the appliance is plugged in and that the power point is switched on.
- The machine is overloaded or is out of balance.
- If the machine stops half way through a cycle, it may be overloaded. Rearrange the items evenly in the drum, and try it again.
- The machine’s lid/door may not be shut fully or properly.
PROBLEM | TUMBLE DRYER NOT WORKING
- The machine may not be connected to the power.
- Ensure the machine is plugged in and that the power point is on.
- Tumble driers automatically shut down when the lint filter is overloaded.
- Clean the lint filter every time you use the drier.
PROBLEM | GARAGE REMOTE NOT WORKING
- The remote control batteries may be flat.
- Try a new set of batteries in the remote control.
- The control settings may be incorrect.
- Check the number code on the back of the remote control and ensure that they match those on the control box panel in the garage.
- Check that the lever (which is usually situated next to the control box) inside the garage is set to ‘auto’, as opposed to ‘manual’ (which allows you to open the door with a key or lift the door manually
- The doors will not close if anything is in the way.
- Check that nothing obstructs the doors.
PROBLEM | AIRCONDITIONING | HEATING/COOLING
- May need to be re-set – turn off at switch and unplug – leave 5 mins plug back in should reset.
Check batteries in remote. (in some cases the remote may need replacing and the unit is not syncing with the remote correctly)
PROBLEM | SMOKE DETECTOR HOUSE ALARM
- If your smoke detector is beeping it is usually an indication the battery is low – remove the cover and insert a 9volt battery. If it is still beeping this signifies that there is maybe an issue with unit. If your property has a bar code or date on it then this is managed by Detector Inspector – call them direct to book an appointment for them to attend 1300 134 563.
House Alarm is going off – contact the office or the number of the supplier usually found on the keypad or the alarm box (usually in a cupboard somewhere)